Monday, October 19, 2009

Women of influence and aroma

Of course when I post this I am struggling with picking up past offense. Sometimes I feel like I shouldnt speak.


Thoughts from Charlotte's Sermon

I talked earlier about my trip to Springfield a couple of weeks ago. I won't be able to give you the FULL extent of what Charlotte Gambil preached but the notes I took I think will give the most valuble points.

I must say the most convicting topics that Charlotte discussed was "Women of Influence and Aroma" . She used the story of John the baptist and the mother and daughter wanting his beheading. Mark 6:17-28. Herod feard John because he knew John was a righteous and holy man. The daughter of Herod came into the banquet dancing and Herod was "impressed". So he vowed to her that he would give her anything she asked for. So she ran to her mother asking what she should ask for. The mother replied "The head of john the baptist" The mother of this daughter had a deep hatred for John. It was a bitterness that saught his death. This story talks about the influence and aroma that these 2 women had on Herod. Would the daughter have asked for John to be beheaded if the mother had not influenced her? In my opinion I don't think so. But that is merely my opinion. Why would she have gone to her mother for advice? Mother's tend to have that sort of influence on their children. Leaders, Friends, or just my average aquaintances I influence. Well, even a complete stranger can be influenced by me. Makes me think of my slight tendancy of road rage. Ok, maybe it is major. The point is....we all have an aroma and have the choice to make it sweet or make it sour and stinky. Charolotte also made the suggestion that whether I have a good aroma or bad aroma it spreads to everyone I come into contact with. "AT ALL TIMES" My aroma influences others around me. So what aroma are you? A sweet aroma? Loving, kind, patient, outgoing, giving, long suffering...ect. Or are you stinky? Bitter, angry, resentful, selfish, gossipy, slanderous, always talking about others short comings? Are you grumping and constantly complaining about the situations you face? Wallowing in it. I need to be focusing on the words of Paul to be content in every situation I face. I need to get rid of the attitude of "I will not be happy until I "have the head of John the baptist". I will not be happy until they pay for what they did. Charolotte also refered to our reaction to offenses, and hurt feelings. How we have the choice to keep our aroma's sweet and not allow others to influence us and spread their aroma to ourselves. If we start feeding that offense, hurt and all those emotions it becomes somewhat like a baby to us. It becomes attached to us and we feed it and nuture it. It begins to grow. It becomes a part of us like a child. And when we drop that offense...it is like dropping our "baby". And our natural tendancy is to rush to it and pick it back up again. My mother and mother in law and father in law and even my friends are constantly encouraging me and telling me what a great mother I am. And how proud they are of me. It just touches my heart because after God, and my husband, they are my main priority. Are you ready for this? This was the MOST POWERFUL statement Charlotte made......When you raise and nurture this baby....(Offense, hatred, resentment)...Satan, like my parents and friends, puts his arm around you and thanks you for raising this baby so well. And then, gives you another baby to raise. I think I will end at that thought.

I am not a great speaker, nor am I good with words. But I have enough wisdom, to take this sermon and learn from it and apply it to my life. However it doesn't mean I will tackle it right away or not struggle for the rest of my life, lol... I need to be spreading the aroma that Christ had. I hope this encourages you the way it did me

No comments:

Post a Comment