Sunday, June 7, 2009

To My Husband


I love you for who you are
I love you for what you are good at
I love the way you can make me laugh at any given situation
And for the ridiculous impressions you make
I love you for the way you let me put my cold bare feet on your legs when I crawl into bed
And the way you tuck the covers around me making sure I am snug and warm
I love you for how you always use your fingers to move the hair away from my face
And how we don't even have to talk
But embrace our moment of being close
I love how there has NEVER been a morning you left without waking me up to tell me you love me
I love kissing your dusty, dirty, greasy face the moment you walk thru the door from work
I love how dedicated you are to serving those in need
And listening to God anoint every beat you make on the drums during worship
I have even realized I love the annoying things you do and are not so good at
Like the way you always manage to miss the laundry basket
And cannot seem to tell the difference between a basket of clean clothes to a basket of dirty clothes
Or how you always take that one sock off and stuff it inbetween the couch for me to find months later
I love how EVERYTHING I lack you somehow make up for
I tend to give up so easily and you are always willing to finish what was started
If one of these things were missing I would be incomplete
Nothing would be the same and we wouldn't be "US"
Thankyou for loving me and being who you are!
I am sorry for making a list of goals for you to meet in order for me to be happy
Missing out on all these things you already do that make me happy
I am so sorry for being selfish and at times what I thought was motivated by love
Was really motivated to get what I wanted to make me feel good
I am asking you to forgive me
I love you and want to put you before myself
I want to love you like our Savior loves
Putting your needs before my own
I am sorry for the unrealistic expectations I have made
And for not giving you the permission to be human
And at times finding myself trying to be the Holy Spirit in your life
Some of these things may seem so small and simple
But I realize I lacked to appreciate
I will from now on work on putting you first
Not for any type of outcome I want
But because I love you!

2 comments:

  1. That's the sweetest thing ever written! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Melissa. I have to read it often and remind myself that I said these things. Marriage is a lot of work :o)

    ReplyDelete